Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thinking About The Box

Watching my daughter at Christmas brings to mind how trapped the adult mind learns to be.

On Christmas eve we were lucky enough to receive presents from my daughter's uncle. The box is packed with what my mother - in - law refers to as "Florida snow". The box and styrofoam peanuts brought three hours worth of enjoyment on their own. And, right now as I write this, I am trying to calculate the ROI on that (let's see, one box at $2.50, some styro... oh, knock it off!).


I recently read the book You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself by Harry and Christine Clifford Beckwith. In the book there is a chapter devoted to growing your box. The premise is that you cannot think outside the box because that is not possible. Instead you must grow your box through learning and experience. I agree. Years ago, I worked for a very talented chef, Paul Bernal, who told me: "The day you quit learning, stop cooking. It's all over. You must continue to learn everyday."


Chef Paul really made an impression with that statement. I can count the number of books I have read in the past (holy cArp!) 21 years, just for pleasure on one hand. I am always growing my box. But, on December 24, 2008 as I watched my daughter play, I think there is a LOT! to be said for enjoying your box.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: